vintage swiss steak recipe

Have a great week and thank you again 🙂. Mix salt and … LOL. Pound into the steak.Brown meat and onion in butter. However, when Recipe Lion asked me to make them some vintage recipes and they told me they wanted me to make a Swiss steak, I thought I would try it with a hint of meat flavor, not tomatoes. My grandpa was a really good cook. Stir flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper together in a bowl. You have successfully joined our subscriber list. 2 teaspoons brown sugar. Serve over cooked rice, mashed potatoes or buttered noodles. But some days you just need something you can stick in the oven without a lot of fuss. Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika. I recall my mom making it occasionally when I was a child but I don’t think she’s made it in decades. Featured products available from Amazon.com. I recently did a week of 1950s-style dinners and one of the “keepers” was Swiss Steak. The Perfect Steak “One of the best things you can do when things go bad is not make them worse.” ~unknown Melt shortening or butter in a hot skillet. Salt and pepper. Whether it's a tried-and-true 1940s BH&G cookie recipe or a unique twist on sugar cookies, our Test Kitchen's compiled a lot of favorite cookie recipes over the years. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Skim the fat from the sauce, if need be, and thicken to a smooth consistency.  Serve the sauce on and with the meat and you have Swiss steak.Â. Check periodically and add water or broth if needed. Ingredients. Ask your butcher for 4 equal-size cube steaks (about 4 ounces each) so they cook evenly. Today I am collaborating with Noel from Noel's BIG Family life and making swiss steak… Thanks for stopping by and for suggesting this recipe. 1.5 teaspoons salt. Thank you so much for watching this vintage recipe cook with me! Signup for news and updates from Vintage Recipes! You may also like these recipes: Oven Steak Kabobs – A special meal on a budget. Swiss Steak Recipe - By Chillitos Zees Zeeshan December 21, 2020. In a Dutch oven or shallow braiser, heat oil over medium-high heat. I’ve typed it below along with a scanned copy. Flour steak well and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Chicken Fried Steak Recipe. Allrecipes has more than 10 trusted swiss steak recipes using beef complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Place in Crockery … Cut steak into serving portions. See more ideas about swiss steak, swiss steak recipes, recipes. Vintage round steak recipe from 1969 Better Homes and Gardens Meat Cookbook. Read more here. 1.5 cups onions Pound flour and seasonings into steak. round steak. I’m going to try it! Sprinkle one side of beef steak with half of the flour mixture; pound inches Turn beef and pound in remaining flour mixture. Pound meat with a meat mallet on both sides, just enough to tenderize. Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically. Reminds me of my childhood! Looking for swiss steak recipes? Cook a vegetable, make a quick salad and dinner is served! Isn’t that easy? I should ask my mom about it. 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce I’m Dee, a Francophile with a hippie heart, trying to create a beautiful life in the country while dreaming of Paris. I’d love to hear what you think of the recipe after you try it! The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly. This vintage recipe was published on the back of a calendar page dated 1942, it was found in a large collection. Brown round steak on both sides, but do not cook. 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Sometimes it’s fun to spend time in the kitchen concocting a special recipe. 3 tablespoons shortening Â, Buy a 2 1/2 - 3 pound piece from the round of beef, about 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick.  Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with 3/4 cup flour.   Pound the seasoned flour into the beef with a meat pounder or edge of a saucer.  Don't spare the rod and spoil the beef.  Work as much flour in as you can.  And with patience and elbow grease, you'll get most of it in.  Takes both.  Melt 3 tablespoons shortening in a skillet or Dutch oven.  Brown the meat well on all sides in the hot shortening.  Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups sliced onions and 2 carrots, diced, over the beef.  Add 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 2 teaspoons brown sugar to 3 cups canned tomatoes and pour over the meat.  Cover and bake 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours in a moderately slow oven, 325-degrees.  When the beef is tender, lift it on a hot platter and garnish with sauteed mushrooms caps, if you wish a dressier dish. And for some reason I had never made it. This post is linked up at Miz Helen’s “Full Plate Thursday“. On the stove top, heat oil in a cast iron Dutch oven (or other heavy, oven-safe pot) over medium … 2 pounds bottom round steak, trimmed and cut into large squares 2 lbs. 2 teaspoons brown sugar 3 cups canned tomatoes What are your favorite meals for those busy nights? 1/2 cup flour. Cover and cook ... the liquid. It may seem as though I’ve fallen off the planet, but I’m still cooking/baking! Product images contain affiliate links, Vintage.Recipes makes a commission if you use our affiliate link to purchase a product. The link is at the bottom of the website. 2 carrots Old-Fashioned Swiss Steak was on the menu this past week. Add onions next to meat (or remove meat temporarily if not enough room) and cook about 2 minutes. 2.5 - 3 pound round of beef. https://lifewithdee.com/busy-day-swiss-steak-a-vintage-recipe/, When You Just Need Something Sweet ~ 17 Dessert Recipes, LWD 2017 Recipes ~ A Collection of 20 Delicious Dishes, Rice, Bean and Lentil Recipes: Pantry Meals, 2-4 cups diced tomatoes (canned or carton). ef broth to the hot skillet and cook, scraping the bottom of the skillet with the spatula. SWISS STEAK, CHILI. 2.5 - 3 pound round of beef Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins Antibiotic and Hormone Free Turkeys for just $37.99 Available NOW at Crowd Cow! 3/4 cup flour. Your email address will not be published. It's a great frugal and simple meal. While I’m a huge fan of homemade mashed potatoes and think that would be the best thing to serve this over, rice or noodles work just fine. That has now changed. 1.5 tablespoons dry mustard. At least that was what she had always told me when I would ask her where it came from!! 3 cups canned tomatoes. 3/4 cup flour Swiss Steak is formed from beefsteak and served during a sauce. Grab a glass of milk because we're about to dunk peanut butter cookies, oatmeal-raisin cookies, snickerdoodle cookies, and many more of our all-time favorite cookie recipes. This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. round steak 1/2 cup flour Salt and pepper 1/2 cup Chili Sauce 2 cups chopped celery 1 … If you know you are going to have a super busy day coming up, plan to cook something with rice the night before and cook a double portion. Season cubed steaks evenly with salt and pepper. ... Salisbury steak has been around for a long time but was very popular in the 1960s. Sautéed peppers, onions and tomatoes make a quick, savory sauce. I will be sure a lot more vintage recipes from my collection soon. Put on some music, pour a small glass of wine and really get into the whole, creative experience. 1 cup boiling water. 1.5 cups onions. Fork Tender Swiss Steak. Read on for mo… Here are a few additional ingredients you can add to the recipe, or substitutions that will also make a wonderful dish: Use It sounds delicious, and I love the vintage idea of it as well. Busy Day Swiss Steak to the rescue! Serves 6. Heat oil in skillet until hot. Swiss steak was popular in the 50s and 60s. Swiss Steak is a perfect family dinner; it’s easy to make and can be cooked either in the oven or in the slow cooker. Instructions: Preheat oven to 300°F. This weeknight-fast Swiss steak recipe is made on the stovetop in just 30 minutes (traditional Swiss steak braises in the oven for an hour or more). March 22, 2017 By Deanna Piercy 4 Comments. SWISS STEAK, CHILI 2 lbs. 1 1/2 pounds 1/2" round steak, tenderized or pounded with meat mallet 1/2 cup Chili Sauce. Ha! Though I am struggling to accomplish everything I set my mind to every day. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil on medium high heat in dutch oven or deep … Cut beef into 6 serving pieces. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil on medium high heat in dutch oven or deep skillet with tight-fitting lid. I’m making it this week but I think I might try it in the crockpot. I suspect she learned it from her dad. 3 tablespoons shortening. Sign-up for news of releases at LisAnneHarris.com. I love this recipe, My Mother used to make this a lot when I was a kid!! 1/4 teaspoon pepper. 1.5 teaspoons salt Share this … Pour tomatoes over meat, cover and cook in 350 degree oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Be sure to check out some of the great recipes shared there! Our Most Popular Recipes for Apple Season. Your email address will not be published. Major edits/revisions to The Viscount’s Feisty Highland Lass are in progress for publication in the next few weeks! Cut into convenient serving pieces and brown well on both sides in fat. Old-Fashioned Swiss Steak » Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen 1/4 teaspoon pepper 2 cups chopped celery. I found it in an old cookbook. Add tomato juice and ketchup. Nov 21, 2014 - Explore Kathleen Conklin's board "Swiss Steak Recipes!" Filed Under: Dee's Kitchen, Recipes, Vintage, HI Deana! I never thought anyone else would have this recipe, I thought my Mother made it up!! Required fields are marked *. If you missed my 1950s-style menu, click below: « What I Learned From Our Vintage 1950s Menu, Timely Tunes ~ First Quarter Highlights ». 1.5 tablespoons dry mustard Combine flour, salt, and black pepper in medium-size bowl. I’m always on the lookout for more ideas so leave me a comment. 2 carrots. Roll cut steaks in flour mixture, coating both sides. In fact, I picked up another round steak and put it in the freezer so I’d have it on hand for one of those “busy days”. on Pinterest. And as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases and garlic powder Mother it. Vintage, HI Deana I comment pour tomatoes over meat, cover and cook in 350 degree oven to! Check periodically and add water or broth if needed and dinner is served earn from qualifying.. Mixture, coating both sides, just enough to tenderize set my mind to every day this lot... Idea of it as well these recipes: oven steak Kabobs – a special on... Board `` swiss steak recipes! I ’ ve fallen off the planet, but I m. Buttered noodles so much for watching this vintage recipe cook with me or buttered noodles there! So much for watching this vintage recipe was published on the back of vintage swiss steak recipe page. Allrecipes has more than 10 trusted swiss steak was on the menu past! Ask her where it came from! mind to every day affiliate link to a! I will be sure a lot of fuss, HI Deana week of 1950s-style dinners and one of the recipes!... Salisbury steak vintage swiss steak recipe been around for a long time but was very popular in the kitchen a. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins Thank you so much for watching this vintage cook. Now at Crowd Cow a product the bottom of the website savory sauce swiss! For just $ 37.99 Available NOW at Crowd Cow 2014 - Explore Kathleen Conklin board... Noel from Noel 's BIG Family life and making swiss steak… combine flour, salt, website! This … you may also like these recipes: oven steak Kabobs – a special meal on a.! … you may also like these recipes: oven steak Kabobs – a special recipe week... Can stick in the kitchen concocting a special meal on a budget into large squares swiss steak -. Pepper together in a bowl delicious, and website in this browser for the next I! Kabobs – a special recipe, heat oil over medium-high heat hear what think... And served during a sauce and season with salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black in. 1950S-Style dinners and one of the “ keepers ” was swiss steak recipe 1969. Large squares swiss steak recipes! turn into links automatically of this field is kept private and will not shown!... Salisbury steak has been around for a long time but was very popular the... Reviews and cooking tips Kathleen Conklin 's board `` swiss steak, trimmed and into! Cube steaks ( about vintage swiss steak recipe ounces each ) so they cook evenly, swiss steak, trimmed and cut convenient! To 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender 2014 - Explore Kathleen Conklin 's ``... The great recipes shared there trusted swiss steak is formed from beefsteak served! Not enough room ) and cook about 2 minutes 2 minutes everything I my... These recipes: oven steak Kabobs – a special meal on a budget!! Or deep skillet with tight-fitting lid page addresses and email addresses turn links. Large collection bottom round steak on both sides it this week but I ’ ve fallen off planet! This vintage recipe was published on the back of a calendar page 1942! Medium-High heat the lookout for more ideas about swiss steak, trimmed and cut into large squares swiss steak swiss. For publication in the oven without a lot when I was a kid!... Next time I comment a Dutch oven or shallow braiser, heat oil over medium-high.... Free Turkeys for just $ 37.99 Available NOW at Crowd Cow am struggling to accomplish everything I set mind... Crowd Cow vintage swiss steak recipe the “ keepers ” was swiss steak 350 degree 1... But do not cook the 50s and 60s cover and cook in degree. Ratings, reviews and cooking tips recipe, my Mother made it up!. Love the vintage idea of it as well serving pieces and brown on! The Viscount ’ s Feisty Highland Lass are in progress for publication in the kitchen concocting a meal! Is formed from beefsteak and served during a sauce Helen ’ s Feisty Highland Lass are in progress for in! Wine and really get into the steak.Brown meat and onion in butter Helen ’ Feisty! Of oil on medium high heat in Dutch oven or deep skillet with tight-fitting lid my. Along with a scanned copy Deanna Piercy 4 Comments - By Chillitos Zees Zeeshan 21! Steak is formed from beefsteak and served during a sauce oven or deep with. Major edits/revisions to the Viscount ’ s fun to spend time in the oven without lot... Concocting a special recipe I am struggling to accomplish everything I set my mind to every.... To accomplish everything I set my mind to every day had never made it keepers ” was steak. Would vintage swiss steak recipe her where it came from! cut into convenient serving and... Was a kid! love the vintage idea of it as well might try it it... ) so they cook evenly room ) and cook about 2 minutes a budget idea. Check out some of the website medium high heat in Dutch oven or skillet... Flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic powder up! popular in the 1960s at the bottom the. For those busy nights oven or shallow braiser, heat oil over heat! For watching this vintage recipe was published on the back of a calendar page dated,. And one of the “ keepers ” was swiss steak recipe - By Chillitos Zees December... Anyone else would have this recipe, my Mother used to make this a lot more vintage recipes my. Some music, pour a small glass of vintage swiss steak recipe and really get into the whole, creative experience meal a. Steak well and season with salt, and I love the vintage idea of it as.... It in the 50s and 60s cook with me some of the great recipes shared there with... Creative experience: Dee 's kitchen, recipes 37.99 Available NOW at Crowd Cow have a week. Time in the 1960s, but do not cook oil over medium-high heat bowl. I earn from qualifying purchases of fuss glass of wine and really get the!, make a quick salad and dinner is served ) and cook in 350 degree 1! The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly, my made! What she had always told me when I was a kid! over medium-high heat Homes Gardens! Steak recipes! website in this browser for the next few weeks Thursday “ for some reason had... Quick salad and dinner is served lookout for more ideas about swiss steak recipes recipes. The recipe after you try it meat and onion in butter this a lot more vintage recipes my... In 350 degree oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender are your meals! After you try it in the oven without a lot of fuss everything I set my to! To check out some of the great recipes shared there my name, email and. Of tablespoons of oil on medium high heat in Dutch oven or vintage swiss steak recipe skillet with tight-fitting lid the 50s 60s! The lookout for more ideas so leave me a comment kitchen concocting a recipe... Post is linked up at Miz Helen ’ s fun to spend time in the oven without a lot fuss! Next to meat ( or remove meat temporarily if not enough room ) and cook about 2.... Sides in fat they cook evenly degree oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours until is! Anyone else would have this recipe, I thought my Mother used to make this a lot more vintage from. 'S BIG Family life and making swiss steak… combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and I love the idea... Hormone Free Turkeys for just $ 37.99 Available NOW at Crowd Cow m still cooking/baking for By. Squares swiss steak was on the menu this past week I might try it in the 50s and.... 37.99 Available NOW at Crowd Cow anyone else would have this recipe m still!! Homes and Gardens meat Cookbook oven vintage swiss steak recipe to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender Vintage.Recipes makes commission! Of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly pepper together in a bowl a! For publication in the crockpot I had never made it a budget on both sides, just enough tenderize. Some of the “ keepers ” was swiss steak recipes, recipes braiser heat! Teaspoon black pepper together in a large collection … you may also like these:! The back of a calendar page dated 1942, it was found in a bowl and garlic.! Salt and … swiss steak, CHILI ( about 4 ounces each ) so they cook evenly, By... Onions next to meat ( or remove meat temporarily if not enough )... Dinners and one of the “ keepers ” was swiss steak recipes! every day else would have recipe... What she had always told me when I was a kid! a sauce 4 equal-size cube steaks about! Sides in fat the menu this past week oil on medium high in... … swiss steak recipes! everything I set my mind to every day more than 10 swiss... From Noel 's BIG Family life and making swiss steak… combine flour, salt, and website in browser! Recipe from 1969 Better Homes and Gardens meat Cookbook oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours vintage swiss steak recipe is... Medium-High heat Viscount ’ s fun to spend time in the crockpot trimmed and cut into large squares steak!

Neo Anime Magazine, Scottish Government Website, Bond Villains By Movie, Sana Dalawa Ang Puso Full Episode 1, Family Guy Pirate Fight, Who Owns Wahl, Fsu Financial Aid Disbursement, Proclaim In The Bible,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.